Under the direction of the campus Attending Veterinarian, CHE helps ensure humane care and use of animals used in teaching and research and is a member of the UC Davis Animal Care Program. CHE is dedicated to helping conduct animal experiments in accordance with the highest scientific and ethical principles and to assisting with the advancement of scientific knowledge and the future of research goals set forth by the University of California, Davis.
CHE animal care services include:
- Housing for rodents, fish, reptiles, birds, and dogs (under special conditions only) of all ages
- Daily monitoring of animals during the course of an experiment
- Administering normal or specialized diets
- Paired feeding
- Daily water/food intake monitoring studies
- Breeding for perinatal studies (conception, in utero, postnatal, sex determination, etc.)